Saturday, January 24, 2009

I Love Living In Sunny Anaheim, California~!!!!

Today my little boy asked me " Momma, Why do you care about homes so much?" What a precious question, I really do love Homes, I love the colors, wood trim, Windows and the different ways to decorate them, but most of all I love the fact that they represent memories of great "Family Time". Mommies, Daddies and children dwell there and that is what excites me. I am also an artist so I see each home as a canvas, It is interesting what some people do with them. His question really got me thinking and as I drove on to the store today, this is what I realized!.

I love homes so much because I grew up in a rich environment of beautiful architecture! I live in Anaheim, one block west of the historical district! I will be posting pictures soon, but if you can imagine how rich this environment is with, Craftsmen style bungalows, Colonial Revivals, Queen Anne Victorian houses, Spanish Revivals, Adobe revivals. It is a total buffet of Art!. Here is some information I have collected just of the Internet!

This is a Craftsmen Style Bungalow


Unfortunately, many folks know Anaheim only as the home of Disneyland. However, the town has a distinguished architectural history and is one of the earliest and best-preserved collections of Arts & Crafts bungalows in Southern California. Resident Phyllis Mueller gives us this short history of the colony: Anaheim was founded as a colony in 1857 when George Hansen purchased 1,165 acres of land on behalf of the Los Angeles Vineyard Society for the purpose of subdividing the land into vineyards and house lots. Its original boundaries were North, East, South, and West Streets. Anaheim’s wine industry flourished during the early years, but in 1885 the vines were stricken with disease, and the profitable wine industry was destroyed. Soon after, the enterprising colonists recovered by replacing the vineyards with orange groves, lemons, walnuts, and chili peppers. Anaheim’s neighborhoods began to flourish, first with simply built cottages and later more elaborate housing that reflected the Victorian and Queen Ann styles of architecture. Colonial Revival housing was another architectural style built through the turn of the 19th century, followed by the simple austere design of the Mission Revival, which mimicked the California missions, and was best expressed in public buildings. The Arts and Crafts movement took place in the early decades of the 1900s with Prairie-style homes and many Craftsman Bungalows, reflecting a more natural and horizontal design. Many Craftsman Bungalows were constructed in Anaheim during this period. In the 1920s, the Spanish eclectic style of housing, with its tile ornamentation, arches, and courtyards, became popular.
Another Craftsmen


Fewer houses were built is the depression-era 1930s, but the French eclectic and English Tudor style of housing made their appearances, reflecting architectural styles seen by soldiers returning from overseas. In the mid-1930s and 1940s, the Ranch style homes – U or L shaped – were developed in the Colony.
Many varied and rich examples of historic architecture can be discovered when walking or driving through the Colony. These structures have an architectural legacy as well as the history of the people who once lived in them. With the goal to preserve, protect and enhance the historic distinction of the Colony, the Anaheim Colony Historic District was established by the City Council on October 21, 1997, 140 years after Anaheim was founded. More than 1,100 structures are on the list of Qualified Historic Structures and are deemed “contributors” to the Historic District. These structures were chosen for the original architectural character of their period of significance and/or for the histories of the people who once lived there. The benefits of forming a historic district are many: In addition to the honor of being in a historic district, it preserves neighborhood integrity, enhances property values, and gives a tangible link to the past, a way to bring meaning to history and to peoples’ lives.
This was an article I found online
This is a newly built home in the style of Downtown, This has a Spanish look to Me


Then there are my favorites Like the Mother Colony House Museum, I remember going here on a Field Trip in 1st or 2nd grade
Mother Colony House, originally located on North Los Angeles Street (now Anaheim Blvd.) and Sycamore Street, Anaheim; built in 1857 by George Hansen, who sold the house to Francisco Rodriguez in 1863; house was moved to 414 North West Street in 1928; dedicated as a museum on March 14, 1929, making it the oldest museum in Orange County; deeded to the city of Anaheim by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1954; image shows exterior view, with white picket fence around front yard and flag pole; sign above entrance reads "PIONEER HOUSE of the MOTHER COLONY"; information sign posted to left of front door.

And the Red Cross House, a Beautiful Queen Anne

Residence of John G. Woelke, built in 1894 in the Queen Anne Victorian style and located on West Center Street (now Lincoln Ave.); house moved in 1949 to 418 North West Street; deeded by later owners, Mr. & Mrs. John Dwyer, to be used as Red Cross House in 1953; image shows three-story house wtih covered front porch and corner turret; historic marker for Marie Horstman Dwyer Pioneer Memorial visible at far left

Here is a Great old picture of a Man and his family boiling Wine right here in Anaheim. I believe this was in 1880

This is all literally one block away from me. Now Wonder I love old homes! I will be taking pictures around the District in the next couple of weeks, Wait and see you'll be amazed!

Blessings

Lori

6 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

I loved this post Lori! I lived many years near Anaheim and this brought back wonderful memories of that area. I miss SO CAL. I know so many people would think I'm crazy because they consider this too close to LA, but like you said it really is it's very own diverse beloved town.

Blessings!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

"What a wonderful POST...my favorite kind!! YOU KNOW I LOVE HOMES TOO....These home are so different with their own characteristics in so many ways. I just love looking at the Architecture and personal story each home says just by looking at it. I love detail and craftsmanship on the interior and exterior....

I love the history you wrote about in here...just love it Lori. Thanks for your inspiration...don't be surprise if I "copy" you NOW...Hahahaha!! (kidding)

Love, J

pchickki said...

Great post Lori!!

This kind of stuff is so interesting. To bad Mandy doesn't have a blog because you would realllllly have this in common. She simply adores old homes and the history behind them. I think she is going to have a computer real soon.

It is about time Mandy....it is 2009!

Okay Lori, good post.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs
Mom

Anonymous said...

"What a wonderful POST...my favorite kind!! YOU KNOW I LOVE HOMES TOO

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love architecture. In my previous life, I did drafting for an architect! That was my dream job. I miss it but tha was another time. By the way, have you done any painting lately?

Nikki Jenson said...

Lori, I just saw your comment on my blog today! Thanks for the note, its nice to see you again! Boy, 20 years and not much change - we both look the same! email me sometime... ngilroy33@hotmail.com